Who I am
About Aimée Derbes, New York state Licensed Acupuncturist, Doctor of Acupuncture + Chinese Medicine in Brooklyn (Gowanus, Park Slope, Greenpoint) + Manhattan (Union Square)
Thank you for being here! My name is Aimée, and I help people who are dealing with chronic health issues heal and feel well again, so they can stop worrying about their health and get back to fully living their lives.
Why I care about your health
I’ve spent most of my life figuring out how to live in this miraculous and imperfect body and feel energized and healthy, no matter what medical diagnoses I may or may not have at any given moment. Understanding the ever changing ebb and flow of my, at times, mis-calibrated, off-kilter immune system and chronic health conditions. Nourishing myself using food, movement, creative expression, sleep, relationships, and meditation as medicine. Learning what support I need to heal and thrive. Following my intuition whenever I suspected that something I had been told to accept as permanent was actually mutable, I have been fully engaged in what it means to really live in and through this vessel -- with, in spite of, or way beyond chronic health issues.
By any markers, I am by far the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life. I am well because I have been healing myself for 15 years, trying many modalities along the way, because I can’t just take someone’s word for anything; I have to experience it in my body to see how it feels, how it helps, if it works. Because the stories we’ve all been told -- that we have to accept certain health conditions as they are; that food and lifestyle don't have a real or big enough effect on our health to matter much; that things about our body, or our immune system, or our so-called constitution are fixed and inevitably get worse, and there's nothing that can be done; that it's normal for our energy level, mood, and physical health to start and continue declining as we get older -- just weren’t good enough for me. And so, I explored everything and discovered how much my body-mind-spirit can actually heal!
I found out just how damn good I can feel. If I can heal and be this healthy, then so can you. And -- thank goodness -- you don't have to spend 15 years of your life figuring it out like I did.
It’s my passion, purpose, and joy to share all of the knowledge and experience I’ve accrued with you, whenever you’re ready and feeling curious and willing to feel a little (or a lot!) better.
“That sounds nice, but what do you actually do?”
In the process of learning how to support my own health, I have followed every recommendation, curiosity, and inkling, allowing myself to be led to many different forms of physical, emotional, and energetic therapies. I ended up leaving my career in environmental policy to pursue East Asian medicine, because receiving a course of acupuncture treatment was such a powerfully transformative experience -- it was as if someone had finally put input the unique key code I didn't even know I had into my body, and it turned on for the very first time in my life. I needed to learn what the hell was going on, and so I dove into the deep end of this endlessly useful and compelling medicine.
The framework of East Asian medicine is beautifully comprehensive -- it contextualizes, understands, and offers a path towards optimal health for all people, dealing with all health conditions, regardless of how they are diagnosed or treated (or not!) by Western medicine. And, importantly, it just works so incredibly well! I earned Master and Doctorate degrees in Chinese medicine, as well as a New York state license to practice acupuncture, plus a national certification in Chinese herbology. I also studied holistic nutrition at Bauman College, and pursued a 3 year study of Healing Touch, a uniquely effective reiki-like form of energy medicine, to become a Healing Touch Practitioner. Because it is such a powerful form of emotional release and healing, I also facilitate breathwork meditation in both groups and individual sessions.
Yep, I do have a lot of tools in my toolbox. I draw upon all of these forms of healing because, while they all get at the same root imbalances, they access and work through different levels of our physical, emotional, and energetic patterns. Every person is wonderfully unique, and what works best for one person may not be the best fit for another. I am a perpetual and endlessly curious student, and I offer different healing modalities so that I am able to meet more people where they are at in their healing process.
Approaching each patient as a unique and complex individual, I personalize treatment plans to support both immediate and long-term constitutional health goals. I do not have a fixed formula for how I work with my patients, because, as you've already picked up on, people and bodies are pretty amazingly different, and I get to practice an individually tailored medicine. Because sustainable healing happens when you are fully participating and empowered, I often include food, lifestyle, supplement, herbal, and creative practice suggestions, as appropriate. Working together may look like :
- A course of 4-10 acupuncture treatments, which is often a good fit for acute issues or flareups of chronic issues
- Weekly sessions, alternating between acupuncture and Healing Touch, which are a good fit for healing from chronic stress and exhaustion, as well as chronic physical or emotional pain
- Monthly herbal consultations, which can be a great fit for people who'd like more support with a chronic health issue, but are already working with another bodyworker or acupuncturist
- 4-7 acupuncture treatments starting at week 36 of pregnancy, in preparation for labor and delivery
- A package of 10 Healing Touch or Breathwork sessions, for ongoing support with physical, emotional, or spiritual healing
- But most often, I see people for 1-2 acupuncture treatments per month, alternating with occasional Healing Touch and Breathwork sessions mixed in, to support long-term healing and prevention
My name is French, and it is pronounced "Ay-May".... but I will happily answer to anything in that ballpark! Please don’t be afraid to try saying it, friends!
- Licensed Acupuncturist : State of New York
- Diplomate of Oriental Medicine : National / NCCAOM
- Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine : Pacific College of Oriental Medicine San Diego
- Master of Science in Traditional Oriental Medicine : Pacific College of Oriental Medicine New York
- Bachelor of Arts : University of Pennsylvania
- Certified Nutrition Educator : Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition
Additional Certifications + Training
- Healing Touch Practitioner
- Healing Touch Program : Levels 1-5 (2015-2017)
- Healing Touch Practitioner Apprenticeship : 2016-2017
- Breathwork Healer Training with David Elliott + Erin Telford
- Aroma Acupoint Therapy with Peter Holmes : Level 1
- Reiki : Levels 1, 2
- Dr. Tan / Si Yuan Balance Method : Core Foundations